Hendy & Fforest

Hendy (Welsh: Yr Hendy, “the old house”) is a Carmarthenshire village. Together with the area known as Fforest, it sits to the west of the River Loughor which separates it from Pontarddulais in the County of Swansea. The village enjoys rural surroundings, but is easily accessible due to its links with the M4.

The river Gwili provides a pleasant backdrop for Hendy Park which boasts wonderful play equipment as well as a multi-use games area. The park is also home to Hendy Rugby Club’s pitch , whilst the busy clubhouse sits just across the river.

The village has a number of businesses including a local shop, two post offices (one in Hendy and one in Forest), a chemist, a florist, a bridal shop and a community cafe. There are also a range of businesses based in Hendy Industrial Estate.

The village has a local pub, The Black Horse and two chapels, Capel Newydd and Libanus.

Hendy is proud of its local school which has been at the centre of the village for over 100 years. It provides dual stream education (Welsh and English) for primary school aged children. There is also a well-established Cylch Meithrin pre-school playgroup.

For further information about the ward, visit: https://www.carmarthenshire.gov.wales/media/1212793/hendy-ward.pdf

History

Hendy developed around the Tinplate Works dating from the late 1860’s. However it acquired notoriety in the early 1840’s due to the Rebecca Riots: caused by the onerous toll charges imposed on road travel.

Coal mining was present at the collieries of Benallt and Talyclun (next to the brickworks).

The early development of the Independent Welsh Chapels in the area started at Yr Hen Gapel in the early 18th century.

The village of Fforest was important as it had the grist mill, on the Cawdor Vaughan estate, which had the monopoly of the grinding of corn.

The Davies family lived at Plas y Fforest and their estate covered much of the area to the south bordering on the Clayton Estate.

History Courtesy of Helenor and Howard Jones

Black Horse at Hendy
River at Hendy